Friday, February 06, 2009

White Now

In English law, a proclamation is a formal announcement made under the great seal, of some matter which the King in Council or Queen in Council desires to make known to his or her subjects. Now, I don’t believe I am a Queen nor do I think anyone is my subject but I would like to make a modern day proclamation, maybe more of a normal person’s declaration.
Friday blog entries from this day forward will be dedicated to color until I don’t want to anymore. When I was in elementary school, I remember playing with my friend Rena. We were just chatting and I asked her what her favorite thing that God created was. She immediately responded, “Color.” Brilliant, I thought. She then turned the question around on me, to which I replied, “Water, all forms of water. Snow, Rain, Ocean, Ice, Drinking, baths…” It is fun how we are all so different.
This blog is dedicated to Rena, the one who so appreciated God’s magnificent pallet at a young tender age. The color I want to start with is white. White is so pure, chic and simple. It is the color reserved for making marriage commitments, the one most of us feel a little afraid to wear because we probably will do something to soil its perfection. If I sat down and had a conversation with ‘White’ , it might say things like, “Relax. Stop. Take a Deep Breath. Shhh…You are doing just fine. I’m breezy. Come rest here. I have a summer home in the Hamptons that you are always welcome to visit”. . White seems perfect all on its own and yet it is always there beckoning me to come and linger for a visit. It is the color of innocence and doves. It is a vanilla ice cream cone on a hot day and the pillow I lay my head down to sleep on at night. It is a cotton field in west Texas where my dad grew up and the left over icing on a spatula my mom always lets me lick. White is clean linens and seasonal white chocolate covered Oreos. It is soap and bubbles. It is the frothy milk on my cappuccino. White is sophisticated and lovely. What white things tickle your fancy?

1 comment:

Keri Thorkildsen said...

Kimmie I love your new Friday theme! I can't wait to read more & hope you post for a very long time, in all the colors of the rainbow! I miss you so much. This post made me feel like I was spending a stolen moment with you in our office! I think I love the most a blank, white sheet of paper. Although it's beauty is duplistic-I think that's a word I just made up. A blank sheet of paper is exciting with it's possibilities, but daunting in it's vast emptiness. Will I draw, doodle, write, paint, crumple it up & throw it away, use it as kindling-who knows?! I love you. The poetry & prose in your soul inspires me all the time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails