Monday, July 10, 2006

Art far beyond and deep within

I absolutely love art. As much as I love art, I think what really draws me to it, other than the fact that some people really are just ridiculously talented, I love expression: a million outward manifestations of a million different thoughts and feelings. Art looks different because we are each different. Even after a piece of art is hung on a wall, by the time each person experiences it, that work is somehow filtered through their own minds, past hurts, great loves, unforgettable losses, unforgivable trespasses, sincere hopes etc. . . and becomes to mean something of the individual's very own. I have never been particularly fond of modern art but until about a year ago I probably couldn't have given you any solid reason for my disinterest. I realized seven paintings into the museum that I didn't not like Picasso's work, I just don't have a full understanding of it (pardon the double negative-thanks, it just felt right). That is a natural immature response to things in life we don't understand. It is easier to say we don't like them than to dive into them, prepared to admit ignorance and lack of perception, than it is to embrace the unknown and seek to find whatever is there to be found. Before yesterday Picasso was merely a vague knowledge of a blue period, a pink or "rose" period inspired by the circus, and an experimentation with cubism. The museum hosts over two hundred pieces of his work and was rich with detail about his life, mind, and words. There was a quote that made me want to have dinner with him and talk to him (which proves to be difficult since he died in the seventies) in regards to the copious amounts of theatre, music, and art programs that are getting cut from school's entirely due to a lack of monetary resources. Having graduated from elementary school I say they cut out having new soccer balls and opt for generic brand chocolate milk before they deplete these fundamental blocks of a child's development. I also realize chocolate milk and all of the art programs don't share the same segmented budget; I just have to believe that corners might could be cut from other areas to help funding these essential programs. I am certain that Picasso, too, would find this both detrimental and ignorant on any school district, state or national government's part. He said, ""Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." He believed in the innocent expression that flows freely from a child because they haven't yet learned how and why it is socially more acceptable, and convenient, for that matter to hide. All that to say I asked the art to be patient with me and my lack of knowledge. I am just now learning it and with new eyes. Like a person that you were acquainted with for a long period of time whom ends up surprising you with the depths of who they are and the greatness that they posses, I am seeing things in his art that I have blankly stared out on pages for years and am for the first time in my life, somewhat understanding. Picasso and myself got off to a late start, but I think we have a promising future.

1 comment:

Amanda Michelle Morrison said...

I'm SO JEALOUS!!!! PS: You should totally be an advocate for keeping art programs in schools k-12, it is really depriving children of this need to express outwardly in some form what is going on inwardly; the arts are essential for this: art, writing, music, theater,etc. You never know when you could be providing ample opportunities for the next "Picasso" to jump head first into his blue, red, or pink period. ;-) Love always, your aspiring Art Teacher friend <3

Related Posts with Thumbnails