Wednesday, May 04, 2005

As Iron Sharpens Iron

Proverbs 27: 17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

I know one of the most amazing children of our Most High God. Her soul resides in the most engaging and beautiful body, which some people probably miss out on the rest of her because they stop there. But inside of her, that is where a beauty untold lie. Her deep brown eyes, hold so much mystery, so many tears, and the same compassion as when I dream of looking into Jesus' eyes. As she sat across the table from me last night speaking about working with Romanian orphans for the summer and how her heart actually physically aches for a heart that proclaims God's seen and unseen glory, I am certain that the Lord had the most radiant smile pouring over her. He adores this liitle one. It is special the way he loves her, cradles her, sends her, and moves her. She responds. Satan lies to her sometimes, trying to make her believe that her hands are too small to do this work, that she isn't getting the job done. Those of us who have had the privelage of her presence know the depths of the absurdity this is. Her hands may be small but He uses those delicate hands to paint the fine print and details of things that big hands could never do. And her laugh. I have never heard an angel laugh, not to my knowledge anyways, but I am convinced that it sounds something like her laugh. Her laugh is medicine to my soul. There are truly moments that I just long to listen to her giggle in joy, laughing uncontrollably over things told and secrets between she and her maker. She delights in the small things, which makes for contagious laughter throughout every hour of every day. She is honest. I will never forget the moment she really stole my heart. We were sitting in my apartment my sophomore year, and she let me in with such grace. She talked of her father's death, her family, her pain, her joy, and a million other things. She invites those around her to be apart of her sanctification and we are all better for it. She doesn't have a clue as to the greatness she is. Her very presence soothes me. I can cry with her and I don't have to explain what I am feeling because she knows and she can cry the very same tears, and does. I think there are a lot of people in the body that are quick to say, "Well, let me know if I can do anything..." I am certainly glad that Jesus didn't wait for everyone to start asking him that before he started preaching, saving, and healing. Like Jesus, she doesn't just throw the invitation for help out there, but rather she observes the person or situation, finds the need, and simply walks according to love and meeting others around her where they are at. She acts with such confidence and serves with the strength of her Father. She looks at the scars her heart bears and doesn't always see the redemptive work that has made them shine with beauty because of His touch. She is humble, not fake "look at me I am serving and I want everyone to see how humble I am humble", but true humility. The same kind that Jesus had to have to walk amongst us and to pour his life out on our behalf. She spurs me on towards love and good deeds. I love you Tori.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails