Monday, January 16, 2006

The family


The family, originally uploaded by ephesians3kh2.

One more time for the cheap seats in the back. I am about to embark on the last semester I will be spending in College Station. It is amazing how time just keeps on ticking. I am sitting on a plane right now headed back from New York. I just spent a long weekend in the city with the Vassars. They are some of my favorites in my faith family. They just feel like a little piece of home. The trip was mixed with a lot of old friends and some weather that is mostly foreign to my Texas roots. I woke up this morning and the city was covered with a blanket of snow. I was silenced by the white majesty. The city even seemed quieter, as though the snow muffled some of the honking taxi’s and often offensive language that seems to be on every corner out of even young kid’s mouths. I found quite a bit of solitude in the city that never sleeps. Maybe it was because I had to fight fiercely to find or feel it at all. With the cause not completely known, in this great pursuit I found more rest for my soul than I have felt than most of my break being at home. Interesting. Or maybe it was that there was nothing all that familiar to cling to other than our God? When I am home it is easy and accessible to often reach for virtuous things or people around me rather than the Lord. In my silent moment today I was overwhelmed with truth. I need to listen more. I need to stop asking the Lord to “Show me, show me, show me!” long enough to hear him answer me. Sometimes our God speaks with fire and yet other times it is a gentle whisper. My loud voice definitely has been drowning out God’s steadfast whisper. It is amazing how I can even make my prayer life about me. And by amazing I mean sickening. He is kind to show His self and shed some much needed grace to a very selfish me. New York is an amazing place, full of all kinds of people. I think I thrive in this environment because I am forced to look beyond my safe white suburb and into lives of real people that are different from me, all loved by God, all uniquely beautiful in there own way. That was the other thing about the snow. It covers everything. It made all of the streets look the same. I couldn’t help but think that Jesus’ blood must do something similar. I couldn’t even tell which streets were nicer than the others, which ones had more restaurants or more business. Nope, they all just looked the same… clean, covered, and white.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails